Thursday, September 1, 2011

Writing What You Don't Know: Firearms

I decided to start this post topic because let's face it ... We writers don't know everything and research can be daunting. I am experiencing this firsthand in my WIP. For me, the focus is motorcycles and guns. For you, it could be antique furniture or wine. The list could go on and on. I'm going to attempt to pick some of the more common topics, like guns. Many of us write about them, but writing accurately is key. Have you ever watched a movie where someone is shot, they clasp their shoulder, and then die on impact? It's annoying. Though you might not be 100% sure what the response should be, you know death on impact from a non-lethal shot is not it. This post is for all writers, but especially those writing crime or mystery, who have a gun-wielding character.

Happy Writing!!

**And leave a comment if you have a topic you'd like to see featured here!!

First, read this article by Kenyon College/Sergei Lobanov-Rostovsky: Guns, Drugs, and Elvis: A Guide to Research for Fiction Writer

4 comments:

  1. What a great list of resources! I had a gun in one of my wips and thankfully my husband and son are gun geeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic resource. I do have a dead body in my next book; maybe I'll bump it up and include the shooting.

    Thanks. I'm new to your blog, but I love it already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled across this link to my Firearms for Formulators of Fiction blog. Many thanks for linking to it.

    ReplyDelete